Monday, November 24, 2008

A Role Model?

I might ruffle some feathers with this one but I've just got to get it out.

I think Bella Swan is pathetic! Ahhh... OK, there I said it.

I don't think she's a good roll model for the thousands and thousands of young girls who are reading these books. I've read all 4 books and I like them for the most part; they were entertaining and creative. But I wish Bella Swan would have had a bit more confidence in herself. I wouldn't want my young impressionable daughter (if I had one) to read about a character that was constantly belittling herself. She should have been able to take a compliment, been more gracious when others gave her gifts and realized the blessing it was to have someone that loved her etc.

I suppose there had to be some sort of contrast between the Edward and Bella, but I wish that Bella could have had a stonger more "girls, you can go out and do anything, love anyone and be the best, I'm worth it!!" kind of personality so that the myriad of young (and adult) women that read these books don't get caught up in thinking that they have to be the damsel in distress.

We are great women with A LOT to offer and we need to believe it!

That's all.

3 comments:

It's Me...shell said...

I have yet to read the books. I just barely started the first couple pages of the first book last night. I'll have to see what you're referring to in the pages to come.

Unknown said...

haha ruffle ruffle. Just joshin' seriously, for me, Bella was the most annoying character. "The I love you's...can't live without you's...have be immortal or I'll pout all the time's...blah. Really, I know this is a fictional book and all but you are pathetic Bella Swan. I thought she matured with each book though so by the 4th one I thought she was ok. Hopefully people don't idealize her...only enjoy a very very sappy romantic story. And lust after that oh so dreamy Edward. haha

"All you need is love" said...

Didds to Ashley's comments,except the maturing part. I hated Bella's character...so much that I never finished the series. The movie sucked too. key words why: Edward, Jasper, writing, powder,$$, acting, etc....