Monday, November 10, 2008

A Lesson Learned- Again.

I have a small problem. Namely, impatience. Once I decide to do something- a project/craft, move apts., try a new recipe etc. I want to do it right now and I usually get my way. I try to disguise it as being "motivated" or "determined" but mostly it's impatience. This time I really wanted- no NEEDED a hair trim, way over due. Oh yeah, you can see where this is going. It seems that the time I suffer most from this so called determination is when I decide that it's time to get a hair cut or color. Now, you know at the end of your hair appt. when they say "would you like to schedule your next appt. now?" I always say "No thanks, I'll just call". I do that because I have a hard time signing myself up right away for spending another exorbitant amount of money on such a created "need". It's painful to watch that much money come out of my checking account so you'll usually see me with a serious need to get my roots done. 40 bucks for a trim? A TRIM!!! and $75 for a partial weave... like 10 foils. Choke! And I know I don't even have it that bad. But eventually the "need" out weighs my checking account balance and I decide to get my hair done. But the problem is that to get into a good stylist it takes a week or two and since I forfeited my scheduling perk from the last appt. I'm left with few other options.

Ok, back to the lesson.

I had a blind date coming up on Friday last week. Immediately the "need" bubbled up and took center stage demanding my full attention right away. "I have to get my hair trimmed, I just have to before the date. My hair is so blah right now, I want to look nice for the date." These are the thoughts running in my head on Wednesday afternoon. Fortunately the one girl I trust implicitly to do the job is finally back in town but unfortunately she just didn't have time till this week.

So what did I do?

Yep, I took matters into my own hands. (keep reading it's good) With regular ol' construction paper cuttin' scissors in one hand and a fine toothed comb in the other I started the job to trim my own bangs... or fringe as I hear it's called these days.

La dee dah, I'm good at this. This isn't so hard, I've done it before and walked away satisfied. Not too bad... maybe a little more over here? Oh, that might have been too much, maybe they're too angled so I'll fix that on this side. Hmmm... OH NO!!! Too much! Too short! They won't lay down, I'll just get a smaller round brush tomorrow and they'll be ok. Oh man.

The next day with a new little round brush: Spent the whole day with my new fringe tucked up in a bobby pin and couldn't wait to get home and try the brush, this was going to work, it'll be just fine. I'll curl the rest of my hair for the date and no one will be the wiser. NOPE. I tried the round brush but it wasn't working right. I was on the phone (mistake # whatever in the long line of mistakes I made about my hair last week) talking to Ashley trying to fix my fix from the day before and ended up screwing it up even more.

Lesson learned:
#1: Don't get too excited about trimming your own bangs.
#2: Even if you've done it before don't think that you can be "brave" and take more off- baby steps, baby steps.
#3: Do not talk on the phone while attempting self hair cut- or at least put the dang phone on speaker so that you're not trying to hold the thing with your shoulder.

In the end I bobby pinned them up for my date. The bangs did have a small redeeming factor because telling that story to my date and showing him my tragic bangs was a hit and we laughed and laughed. Here's hoping he calls!!

6 comments:

Shaylee said...

What a classic story. Seriously, I have found myself in that postion one too many times. Thank goodness for bobby pins!

Lacey said...

oh my gosh that was hilarious! you crack me up shelbs.

"All you need is love" said...

You know much too well I've learned my lesson already with this one. You being on the other end heard the scream...

TrixieDeLite said...

BBAAWWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! TOO funny! so where is the picture proof? :)

It's Me...shell said...

So funny! I will admit I do trim my bangs in between hair appointments, but I've never done them too short. probably because I'm so scared of ruining them. Thanks for the cautionary tale. I'm glad the date liked the story.

Ashlie said...

Bangs are such a pain!! I have done that way to many times to count and everytime after I mess them up I tell myself i will never do that again...but I always do!! Glad everything worked out on the date!