Monday, August 29, 2011

Bear Lake Brawl: Check.

Here's the full report on my first triathlon:

The nerves didn't even hit me yet, not till I was mid-swim. I guess that's the good thing about going into something sorta blind is that you don't have a ton to be apprehensive about (except that I'd almost started crying two or three times the week before and at least once the morning of the race - pansy).

I was so happy to get my butt out of that lake after the swim. I didn't know what I had gotten myself into until I was about 100m out in the lake. It was so much harder mentally than I thought it would be. I was THIS close to tears but just kept reminding myself that it wouldn't last long... and I prayed that I would actually make it to the beach.

The bike was a cake walk. It was like 12.2 miles of easy scenic sunday riding, thanks to the flat course of course.

Ahhhh... I did it!!! I was .5 seconds behind that girl in the green. SO close to 4th place (I guess I shouldn't have been pushing her - we were right next to eachother in the transition area and she was really nice).

My family came up to watch and cheer for me. It was SO great to have them there to share this with me. THANKS FAMILY! And Joel and Steph & Ken for cheering too!

So yeah, I finished 5th in my age group (25-29), kept a faster pace during the run than I'd planned on and had a good time doing this. Oh! and i got a really ugly t-shirt. I plan on doing this again next year, and perhaps a few inbetween.
I did it!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome! I'm so proud of you! That's so great that your family came to support you too, you know I woulda been there too if I could've. I love you!!! big fat kisses!

Hoenes Family said...

So proud Shelb. I don't blame you for wanting to cry on your swim. I have swam in Bear Lake many times and it is a tough swim. Your time was AMAZING! You put me right to shame.