Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Genetic Melting Pot


A funny thing happened when the genetics were getting passed out in my family... they got all mixed and jumbled up and now we don't match. There are siblings that can be recognized as "Joe's little brother" years later by the algebra teacher and then there are those who's only resemblance lies in their last names. The latter is true for me and mine.
Spiv is narrow hipped, brunette with dark eyes and gets super tan when exposed to ultra violet rays. And is short.
Calvin is TALL has dark hair, grey-blue eyes, our grandma's nose and our dad's hands. AND shares Spiv's gift of absorbing UV rays and transforming them into Golden Tan rather than Freshly Cooked Lobster like I do.
I have that same grandma's complexion: fair and freckled, blue eyes, am much taller than Spiv and have a few more curves to boast about. And when I dye my hair red no one suspects it's a farce.
We all take after someone who came before us but we don't have anything very similar.
Maybe Spiv and I have similar voices on the phone? Grandma Nonnie never cold tell if it was me, Spiv or her own daughter who answered. Oh how I'd love to see Grandma Nonnie again!
So, we don't look like we're related. Big deal.

2 comments:

It's Me...shell said...

I think you all have a similar eye shape. I don't think my family looks alike, but everyone else does.

Hoenes Family said...

I think my family would be the "oh you are definitely a Smedley. blah blah blah. I think it's kind of nice not looking alike. No one compares you to your older sister. Love all of your pictures. You are such a beauty Shelbs. The leaves were GORGEOUS. David has quite the talent. That is so cool he makes violins. I saw how a guy did that on reading rainbow the other day!