Wednesday, October 22, 2008

9-1-1 or Dave? 9-1-1 or Dave??

Ok. (this might get a little long....) I was on the phone with Jami discussing BMI and apple green walls when I started to smell something burning when the heater kicked on. I went downstairs to check out the furnace and see if there were flames billowing out of it. Nothing. No smell down there either. But I started to feel like someone was going to jump out and scare me at any second. I knew there was something in the house that shouldn't be there and I was as scared as if it were a burglar. I went back into my room, put my shoes on and grabbed my keys just in case we needed to go outside (I could start my car and put Billings in it to keep him warm. Billings is the 88 year old I live with- yes, I live with a man).

"9-1-1 or Dave, 9-1-1 or Dave?" was the thought in my mind. Dave-of course. (Dave is my dear friend and Billings' grandson). I called and he said "I'll call ya right back" and I said "ok, but it's important". I didn't know how big of a deal to make of the smell, it is an old, funny smelling grandpa house after all. By the time I came out of my room again there was smoke all over- not a lot, it looked kinda foggy down the hall. I woke Billings up. Dave called back. I said "there's smoke in the house but no flames. I don't know where it's coming from." He said "Where's Billings? Call Tom. Call Tom." (Tom is Billings' son who lives a mile or so away). I called Tom and he rushed right over. I was poised and ready to call 9-1-1 from that point on.

Billings and I spent the next 3 or 4 minutes trying to figure out where it was coming from. We checked all the outlets, the oven and stove, the light switches- everything. Now, you might be thinking "DAVE?! Why did you call Dave and not 9-1-1?" Well becasue the smoke wasn't getting any worse and I knew what we'd be ok to get out in 20 seconds if things turned for the worse-I did't let Billings go downstairs until Tom got there. I knew that Tom would be able to figure things out and I trust him- he's VERY smart.
So Tom got there in a flash and he and Billings poked around for a few minutes until they decided it was the fan motor in the furnace. All the wire insulation had burned off when the fan didn't kick on and the smoke from that is what made it's way up through the vents. I'm glad I was there last night (sometimes I don't come home) if the motor would have kept running all night it would have definitely caught the house on fire. So, Tom left with a piping hot furnace motor in his hands and I curled up with my down comforter for the long cold night without the comfort of a heater.

I've never been in a situation like that- one where you have several minutes to think about what you would try to take with you if there were any real danger. Sure, I've almost been in a couple of serious car wrecks but those situations don't leave any time for thinking only reacting. I was shaking like a leaf and as much as I would hope that I'd be able to do well under pressure I don't think my brain was functioning very clearly. I realized that there wasn't really anything that I would take other than getting Billings out. Such an unusual thing to go through. I thought about my renter's policy and decided that if anything I'd grab my compter. The only thing I have in that house that's not replaceable are the pictures on my laptop. Maybe I'd try and grab my journals and my scriptures but clothes and furniture are expendable. Anyway... things are fine and hopefully the furnace will be fixed before it gets too cold.

5 comments:

"All you need is love" said...

My first reaction was, 'why would you call someone who is too far away to do anything'. Then my second thought was 'Glad you called Tom, because he could actually do something'. I hate 911. Justin made me call them once when we had a small fire on our stove we couldn't get to tame and it was getting worse. I was so angry when they got there and their phone conversation with me, they were so dumb. I am glad we have emergency response, but sometimes it's too little too late heres your bill for a million dollars.

Shelby said...

I had to call Dave because he's the only member of Billings' family that I have the number for. And Billings' would refuse to give me the number because he'd insist that it was nothing that he couldn't handle.

Unknown said...

See...missing institute was a blessing in disguise!!! I knew it!

"All you need is love" said...

Not a hater...you did the right thing. Men who are as...wise in years as billings have a right to tell us youngins what to do.Bygum it was right. Ashley you're hilarious

Ashlie said...

That would be very scary!! I am glad that nothing too serious happened! STAY SAFE!!