Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Growing Old Gracefully

In the last... I dunno, two years or so I've started to realize that I am in fact a grown up. I don't know why it's taken so long but it has. Recently someone asked me how old I was and I told them "22-errr... uh? twenty....five? Yeah, 25" Seriously. You would think that because I've been paying all my own bills and working to support myself for years, paying for car fixes, buying groceries and coming and going as I please this would have dawned on me sooner. I mean, I have a "career", not just a job- that's what they say lets you know you've arrived in the "real world". But none of those things are what brought on this enlightenment. It was this morning at work, like 5 minutes ago, when jumped on to my blog- this blog, and turned up the first song it plays really loud (the boss is out of the office- I LOVE The Killers). It only took a second before it became too irritating to stand and I turned it back down. And that's when it hit me. Soon a short list of things started coming to mind that I note as making me a grown up, specifically things that didn't bother me when I was young.
Here's the list:
1- Music that is playing too loud when it shouldn't be, like in my quiet office or in the Abercrombie store (1st of all I was desperate for some shorts that's why I went in there. Old Navy, Gap, J.Crew and all the other regular places didn't have any anymore). I was only in there long enough to yell my request directly into the 16yr. old associate's ear, walk to the back of the store and back out. Too loud, too dark. Not a pleasant shopping environment. Loud music while dancing or driving or working out is still just fine.
2- Chocolate milk straight from the carton is just a bit too sweet. I used to HATE it when my mom would put extra milk in it to "water" it down because it was "too sweet".
3- Swiss Cheese. What kid likes swiss cheese? But now I don't mind it now on sandwiches or melted into something.
4- Having a past. I'm old enough to have a past. I can look back a significant # of years and that Shelby was making her own decisions and working. Weird.
5- Slamming doors bugs me. I hate when someone slams my car door.
So there ya have it- I guess I'm moslty a grown up.

4 comments:

TrixieDeLite said...

Shelbus my lovely middle child; you finally hate the things I taught you to hate! :P

Love yer blog, Love you too!
Ma

Unknown said...

Isn't it crazy how fast time flies... Who would have thought of us as grown ups! The same two kids that decided to go dumpster diving in the walmart parking lot and laugh at the cops telling us to get out. (I'd actually probably still do that but not at walmart...somewhere more grown-up like Ethan Allen.)

"All you need is love" said...

Alas, I feel it too. I drive a bloody minivan for crying out loud. Loved yesterday, we need to plan a friday in SLC.

Tiffany + Matt said...

okay, that's funny! I feel that same way! Seriously age just sort of all of the sudden hits you one day.