Monday, November 2, 2009

Glad they had 8 kids.

R & Z have been married for like 38 years. That's a long time. I'm not sure how Zina did it but she successfully raised 8 children. And she still comes home after teaching everyday with a plan for dinner- very June Cleaver-like. I'm sure her ability to figure out these dinners has stemmed from her 38 years of feeding 8 kids.

Sometime in Sept. I was sitting at stake conference admiring the quilt that some young mother had for her lil' kid and I thought it was time for me to try my hand at making something like that. I've never made anything too far beyond a pillow case... a few make-shift Halloween outfits, a bag once and a skirt that's yet to be finished. So for a week or so I casually looked for patterns for a quilt that I'd like. Nothing country please. Then I found one on the blog of my college friend- MODERNTHREAD (PS The treasures here are unbeatable!! Make sure you look at her newer posts to see the finished quilt). I followed the link for the tutorial and headed to the fabric store.

My only problem was that I didn't know how much fabric to buy because the tutorial only used 3 colors for the quilt. So I ended up buying 2/3 of a yard of each just to be safe. What I ended up with was enough fabric to make a queen sized quilt rather than the crib sized quilt the tutorial called for. Uh, SAFE? Yah, I think so.

This thing became monstrous! I spent several hours at the sewing machine putting this sucker together. I realized that if I lived anywhere else but here there wouldn't be space on the dining table to lay it all out and pin and snip and cut and blah... Had R & Z not had 8 children they wouldn't have had such a huge table and this quilt may very well have never been finished.

So yeah, I'm glad they had 8 kids. Plus their #7 is a dear dear friend.


Pretty bomb huh?! Just need to get it quilted and finished now...







2 comments:

Naomi said...

I am SO impressed! Like. A. Lot.

Hoenes Family said...

Shelbs! I am way impressed! You did an amazing job.